Grewia Asiatica is the botanical name of our favorite summer fruit, Falsa or Phalsa. Falsa belongs to the berry family, and people often mistake it for blueberries; they are close relatives but are not the same. In the family of Tiliaceae, only one genus, Grewia, yields edible fruit which is Falsa. It is native to Southern Asia, from Pakistan to Cambodia, and is also cultivated in many tropical countries.
Falsa is a much awaited fruit by many people, in the summers. It can be used to make juices, syrups and sherbet to fight the heat and cool oneself. The fruit tastes a little acidic and sometimes sweet.
It has great medicinal uses as well; the fruit is astringent and stomachic. When unripe, it alleviates inflammation and is administered in respiratory, cardiac and blood disorders, as well as in fever. It is rich in vitamin C and is also a good source for anti-oxidants.
After much research, I’ve been able to find a detailed table on its food value; it’s low in sodium, low in fat and rich in Vitamin C.
Percentages are based on a diet of 2000 calories a day.
Amazing Health Benefits of Falsa
Here are some amazing health benefits of falsa that you might not know:
- Falsa juice helps in relieving digestive problems like excess acidity and indigestion.
- Raw falsa fruit is a blood purifier, normalizes heart rate, blood pressure and cholesterol levels. It relieves fevers, inflammations and blood disorders.
- The fruit is a wonderful reliever of respiratory problems like asthma, bronchitis, cough, cold and sore throat.
- Falsa fruit and juice has been used to treat liver and gall bladder problems for centuries.
- The fruit contains an enough amount of nutrients and minerals, including, but not limited to magnesium, iron, calcium, potassium, carbohydrates and Vitamin A and C.
- It is a great source of antioxidants which play a vital role in preventing cancer and when it comes to anti-aging ingredients, Antioxidants are essential in age deterioration.
- Falsa removes pimples, acne, skin dryness and cures anemia.
- The juice helps pass urine so it is recommended to use in cases of oliguria or low urine output.
- It is used as a treatment for burning micturition (i.e a burning sensation experienced while passing urine) and acidic urine which gives rise to stone formation.
Healing Uses with Directions
Below are Falsa healing benefits:
Stomach Pain: Roast 3 grams (about 1 tea spoon) carom seeds or “Ajwain”. Add 25 to 30 ml falsa juice (2 table spoons). Stir and warm a bit. Drink to relieve stomach pain.
Burning eyes, urine, chest, stomach and sour eructations: Drink falsa juice daily.
Weakness of stomach, nausea, vomiting, and stomach pain: Add a little rose water to the juice. Add sugar to taste. Drink daily.
Weak Heart: Take 50 ml juice (around ¼ cup). Add a pinch of rock salt and black pepper powder. Mix well. Add sugar to taste, stir well and drink for relief.
Brain Weakness: Drink 50ml (around ¼ cup) juice everyday.
Respiratory Troubles, cold weather troubles and hiccups: Warm a little juice, add in a little ginger juice and rock salt. Dink for relief.
Burning during urination: Take 25 grams of falsa, 5 grams of Amla powder, 10 grams of black grapes and 10 grams of dates. Grind all except amla powder. Soak all the ingredients in water at night. In the morning, add 20 grams of sugar. Stirr and strain the water. Divide the water into 2 equal parts. Take 1 part in the morning and one in the evening.
How to Make Falsa Juice (Falsa Sharbat)
- About 250 grams Falsas
- About 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup of crushed ice
- Fresh mint leaves for garnishing
Soak falsa fruit in water for 30 minutes. Strain out the fruit.
Proceed with grinding the berries in a grinder.
Strain the pulp well through strainer.
Add 3 glasses of chilled water and 3 tablespoons of sugar.
Stir thoroughly. Squeeze one lemon juice and add in the falsa mixture.
Add crushed ice.
To add in flavor, some people would recommend adding a pinch of ‘Kala Namak’ and ‘Lal Mirch’ for an extra kick. That’s totally up to your taste.
This quantity would be sufficient to serve 5 people. It’s a magical, refreshing and healing beverage for the whole family to enjoy! It’s a great supplement for people with diabetes too.